With the acceleration of worldwide migration, literature by way of migrant writers has emerged as a robust medium for describing the ways that worldwide forces are skilled on the own point. Migrant literature bargains a compelling counter‐narrative to summary visions of globalization, grounding large‐scale strategies in real‐life tales of individuals.
In Thailand, migrant writers have documented the social and cultural affects of 50 years of rural‐urban migration via thousands of reports, poems, and novels. Bangkok certain is the 1st ebook to ascertain this physique of literature and the messages that Thai migrant writers exhibit approximately their reviews. those tales powerfully describe the ways that migrants who go away their houses sure for Bangkok are speedy sure to Bangkok in the course of the transformative strength of recent urban lifestyles. they usually convey the ways that those that stay at the back of within the village are remodeled, too, as they try to keep up a rural lifestyle in a quickly urbanizing world.
Bangkok certain can be of curiosity to a person engaged on migration or urbanization, in addition to to students of Thailand and Thai literature. experts in migration will locate it a welcome boost to the turning out to be box of migration reviews via exam of narrative fiction.
• precious for an introductory direction on Thai or Southeast Asian reports; deals a springboard for conversations on improvement, rural‐urban inequality, migration, and the affects of swift urbanization in Asia
• First publication to envision the topic of migration in Thai literature, an important modern genre
• Contributes to the starting to be box of migration reports via exam of narrative fiction
• offers a window into how migration and urbanization are skilled on the own level
• Of curiosity to migration students in addition to students of Thailand, Thai cultural reviews, and Thai literature
About the author
Ellen Boccuzzi is a overseas provider Officer with USAID. She makes a speciality of migration, urbanization, and foreign improvement, and has labored with UN organisations, non‐governmental agencies, and universities in Thailand and the USA. She holds a PhD in South and Southeast Asian reviews from the college of California, Berkeley.